These homemade dog treats are easy to make and will make your pup’s day. Sure to be a hit, these biscuits can be thrown together with only five ingredients.
Why Make Dog Biscuits?
I’ve been spending months trying to find an affordable and healthy treat for our golden retriever, Magnus. I recently purchased a nutrimill so I can grind my own whole wheat flour, so I figured why not try to make homemade dog biscuits with freshly milled flour. Don’t worry though! If you don’t have a grain mill on hand, which I assume you don’t, go ahead and use any old bag of whole wheat flour you find at the grocery. You should stick with whole wheat flour vs. while all-purpose because it is easier for your dog to digest.
How to Make Homemade Dog Treats?
These dog biscuits couldn’t be easier to throw together. I used my Kitchen Aid Mixer because what is easier than throwing your ingredients into a bowl and leaving it, but if you don’t have a stand mixer, go ahead and use a hand mixer. You can mix these by hand but it will take time to get all of your ingredients incorporated.
Add 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 tsp of raw honey, and 3/4 of vegetable broth (or water if you don’t have any veggie stock on hand) into a bowl. Mix for 2-3 minutes or until all of your ingredients are completely incorporated.
Next roll out your dough. Roll it out to the size you want your biscuits to be. Since this dough doesn’t have a leavening agent, it won’t rise. Next, cut out your biscuits. I used dog bone cookie cutters I got off of amazon. You can find them here. You could also use any cookie or biscuit cutter you have on hand!
Put your biscuits out on a baking tray and add to a 350 degree oven for around 30 minutes. Pull the biscuits out of the oven and allow them to set for around five minutes before transferring them to a wire rack. Remember! I used freshly milled flour so mine might look a bit grainier than yours. Don’t worry too much! Your dog is going to love these no matter what.
Homemade Dog Treats
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup peanut butter (make sure it is xylitol free)
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 tsp raw honey
- Set the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the ingredients together for 2-3 minutes or until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Roll out your dough to the size you would like your treats to be.
- Using your cookie cutter, punch out your treats and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Bake the treats for 30 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, allow the treats to set for around 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure the peanut butter you use in this recipe is xylitol free. Xylitol is a sweetener that is toxic to dogs.
- Store these treats in an air-tight container for up to a week.